… a MellOnWheels Healthy Campsite Crockpot Recipe
This recipe was adapted from a “South Beach Diet” recipe, and is compatible with the Weight Watchers “Simply Filling Technique”.
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Halves
- (1.75 pounds) cut into 1″ chunks2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- Salt & Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth (Fat Free)
- 1 teaspoon Canned Chipotle Chili (seeded & minced)
- 1/2 cup Nonfat Half & Half
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Shredded, Reduced Fat Monterey Jack Cheese
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro Leaves
Warm oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, over medium fire. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes, while stirring. Add chicken and sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring.
Add 2 cans of beans and liquid, 1 1/4 cups broth, and the chipotle. Bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, put the remaining 1 can of beans into a bowl, and mash with a potato masher, fork, or the side of a cup/mug… stir until smooth. Stir-in the 3/4 cup broth until smooth. If you have a blender at the campsite, you can put the beans and broth in the blender for about 10-seconds, instead of mashing.
Then add it to soup pot, along with the half-and-half. Simmer a few minutes, stirring, until ingredients are warmed through and flavors incorporate.
Serve hot. Garnish with cheese and cilantro.
* Note that this recipe could also be made in the crockpot. If you decide to use that method, I would brown the chicken and onions first, then add all of the ingredients to the crockpot… and skip the “mashing the beans” part. Cooking it in a crockpot on low for 4-hours, would thicken up the beans, so mashing would not be necessary. I think this will be the method I use, from now on. You can also substitute low-fat canned chicken, for the chicken breasts… and make it even easier for campsite preparation.
Nutritional information :
Servings: 10 • PointsPlus: 7 • Calories: 360 • Fat: 5g • Carbohydrates: 33g • Fiber: 8g • Protein: 41g • Sodium: 671g • WW Simply Filling Method Suitable